1 in custody after shooting investigation leads to Westside SWAT call: JSO


JACKSONVILLE, Florida. – A person was taken into custody on Saturday after shots were fired at an occupied home and that investigation led police and a SWAT team to a hotel on the city’s Westside, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Jacksonville.

JSO Lt. Beau Bottin said shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday, officers responded to shots fired on Rayford Street, just south of Interstate 10 in Murray Hill. Police said they learned that shots were fired at an occupied residence. Fortunately, Bottin said, no one was hurt.

A person was taken into custody Saturday after shots were fired at an occupied home and that investigation led police and a SWAT team to a hotel on the city’s Westside, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office .

Bottin said the shots were fired from outside the house and investigators learned the suspect may be known to residents.

The woman whose house was shot, Candice Bagget, told News4JAX that she and the person believed to be the suspect were friends before all of this happened.

“Here is the bullet here that the police have to grab, and that’s where it went through the window and hit the TV where my friend was sitting right across from it,” Bagget said. “I saw it with my own eyes. And do you know how heartbreaking it is to see your own friend leave, like, what point are you trying to make? Are you trying to scare us because you Could have killed anyone. It’s not a fear. It’s terrifying. It’s like PTSD. I don’t want to be home. I don’t want to be here anymore.

A d

Jacksonville police are investigating whether the person who shot at a house with people inside Rayford Street is the same person a SWAT team had to help get out of a hotel room in the Westside.

The investigation led police to 103rd Street off Interstate 295 in the Cedar Hills area, where they attempted to make contact with a person suspected of involvement, Bottin said.

“We had indications of someone being inside a hotel room, however, they did not come out or communicate with us for several hours,” Bottin said.

UNCUT: Hit the play button below to watch the full JSO press conference

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is holding a press conference Saturday morning.

After a few hours, contact was made, but the person still refused to leave the room, according to Bottin.

Police continued to communicate with the person as search warrants were requested and the SWAT team responded, Bottin said.

Shortly after, Bottin said, the person walked out of the hotel room peacefully and was taken into custody just after noon. The people at the hotel said they were glad that person was okay.

According to Bottin, this person would be the suspect in the incident of the shootings, “but it is the subject of an investigation”.

A d

Bagget said she was heartbroken someone she considered a friend would put her life and the lives of others in danger.

“So my friend called me to let off steam,” she said. “A few hours later, she became belligerent. I asked her, around 6 am, that she had to leave my house. She got angry about it. I would say 30 minutes later we hear four gunshots.

Police said they believe there is no longer a threat to the public.

The sheriff’s office is continuing its investigation.

At least one person was injured in a crash near the hotel on Saturday, but police said the accident was unrelated.

Copyright 2022 by WJXT News4Jax – All Rights Reserved.

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.