A second child of an Afghan family evacuated from Kabul has died in Poland after eating poisonous mushrooms.
The six-year-old boy suffered brain damage after undergoing a liver transplant to counter the effects of death fungi.
He was pronounced dead at Polandmain children’s hospital in Warsaw on Friday, the day after his five year old brother, who had also eaten the mushrooms, died.
It is believed that the boys’ family picked them up in the forest surrounding the center which they were quarantining following their flight. Afghanistan.
Their 17-year-old sister also received treatment after eating the mushrooms in a soup, but she is in good condition. Their parents receive psychological support.
Doctors have said that the toxins from the fungi are less damaging to people with a larger body mass.
Follow the Daily podcast on Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Streamer
The family arrived at the quarantine center in the town of Podkowa Lesna near Warsaw on August 23 after escaping Taliban control. Kabul.
Britain had asked Poland to evacuate them because the children’s father had worked for the UK.
There are around 1,300 types of mushrooms in Poland, of which around 200 are poisonous.
Death hat mushrooms can be easily confused with the popular edible parasol due to their similar appearance.
In a separate incident at another quarantine center near Warsaw, four Afghan men were hospitalized after eating mushrooms, the Polish Office for Foreigners said.
Authorities are now investigating whether neglect was a factor in the brothers’ deaths.
Staff at the center are being questioned, with officials under criminal investigation, according to a spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office.
Another five-year-old Afghan refugee dead in UK after falling from a ninth floor hotel window in Sheffield in August.
The UK evacuated 15,000 people from Kabul, including 8,000 Afghans who worked for the UK and their families.