Family ‘locked up’ in Carrow Road hotel after flat fire

0

Published:
15:00 29 January 2022



A single mother and her four children have been crammed into a hotel room after their flat was destroyed by flames on New Years Eve.

Roxanne Sidney, 26, stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the Norwich City stadium after her municipal property in Suffolk Square was destroyed by a kitchen fire.

The fire department is continuing to investigate and deal with smoke damage after crews were called just after 2pm on Friday December 31.

But Miss Sidney lamented having to stay in a cramped hotel room – which costs the council up to £200 a night – with small kitchen facilities to provide healthy food for her children aged nine, six, two and six months.


Roxanne Sidney’s kitchen after a fire broke out in Suffolk Square
– Credit: Assessed

She said: “I struggle with depression and anxiety anyway, so being locked in this little room is not healthy.

“It’s really affecting my kids with schooling and we’re struggling right now.

“My children are quite traumatized after seeing a fire in their own house.”


Roxanne Sidney's youngest child

Roxanne Sidney’s youngest child
– Credit: Assessed

The family have been told the fire may have been caused by a clothes dryer, but Miss Sidney disputes this as she believes it was put out.

A neighbor alerted the fire brigade as Miss Sidney and her children were out at the time.

The family’s French bulldog Cleo was inside the burning building but was rescued by crews.


Roxanne Sidney and her young family are staying in a hotel room after a fire broke out in their kitchen

Roxanne Sidney and her young family are staying in a hotel room after a fire broke out in their kitchen
– Credit: Assessed

Miss Sidney said: “Our kitchen was completely destroyed. I was initially told I would have to pay for all the damage but then I got another phone call saying I didn’t have to pay. It seems a little strange.

“I would be willing to be relocated anywhere in Norwich. I just need to get out of the hotel room.”


Roxanne Sidney with three of her children

Roxanne Sidney with three of her children
– Credit: Assessed

Miss Sidney was told she would not be charged for the repairs and the council provided a new microwave for Miss Sidney to use at the hotel.

A council spokeswoman said: “Fire damage repair work to Miss Sidney’s home is nearing completion.

“Since the fire, we have taken care of all the family’s needs, including providing accommodation and covering food costs.


Norfolk Fire and Rescue attended the scene of a flat fire in Suffolk Square in Norwich.

Emergency services attended the scene of a flat fire in Suffolk Square in Norwich.
– Credit: Grace Piercy

“We are in regular contact with Miss Sidney and she will be the first to know when it is safe to return home.”


Roxanne Sidney's kitchen in Suffolk Square after the fire

Roxanne Sidney’s kitchen in Suffolk Square after the fire
– Credit: Assessed


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.