A Scottish caregiver claimed to have spent £ 273 for a two-night stay at the Adelphi Hotel, but was disappointed with ‘nicotine stains’ on the walls and ‘a smell of dampness’.
Ryan Caine, who is originally from Liverpool but now lives in Glasgow, was visiting the city with his father – whom he takes care of.
The 27-year-old claims to have paid £ 136.50 per night at the hotel, staying there from Saturday 25 September to Sunday 26 September.
Ryan said after a visit to Stoke-on-Trent the couple decided to head to Liverpool as Ryan’s father had never been there and the 27-year-old could visit his mother.
But he was not impressed with what he found in his hotel room, reports Liverpool Echo.
Photos of the hotel room show the fire alarm hanging from the ceiling with the wire exposed and yellow spots on the walls.
Speaking to ECHO, Ryan said: “From Stoke-on-Trent we decided to go to Liverpool, [my dad] never went to Liverpool and saw my mom.
“We had the Adelphi for two nights, £ 273 and it’s supposed to be a good hotel.
“When we got to the hotel, our hotel door was open before we could even put our key in it.
“Then when we got in, the fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling and there were bare wires.
“The walls had nicotine stains and so did the ceiling.
“There were cracks in the bathroom tiles and in the ceiling and there was also moisture on the ceiling in the bedroom.”
Ryan claims that although he paid hundreds for his stay, the staff told him they couldn’t provide a fan after they requested one for their room.
The 27-year-old said: “There was no fridge, no fan and it was hot because it was late September.
“We went down and asked for a fan and they said ‘sorry we don’t provide this’ and for the price we paid you would expect to have a fan.
“All other places we have stayed had a fan if we asked for one they would give you one or there would be one in the room.
“They said there would be clean bedding or towels in the closet – there was nothing in the closet.”
Ryan said the key cards given to them for their hotel room “were also falling apart” and that meant they would have to keep going to the front desk to sort them.
He added: “Our key cards also kept cutting, so when you come back to go out and put your key card in you have to go back down and wait in a long line because multiple coaches might have entered just to get a new key card. “
The caregiver said his father “hadn’t really had fun either”.
Did you know that you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?
We send out a morning and noon newsletter every day covering the latest headlines.
We also send out coronavirus updates at 5 p.m. on weekdays and a summary of the week’s must-see stories on Sunday afternoon.
Registration is simple, easy and free.
You can put your email address in the registration box above, click Subscribe and we’ll do the rest.
You can also subscribe and view the rest of our newsletters here.
Ryan said: “Overall it was hot, it smelled of humidity, and the fire alarm kept going off every five seconds because it was so low and I don’t know why, but I think that people were trying to climb the fire escape for a cigarette or something. “
Britannia Hotels has been contacted for comment.